Lulworth was originally conceived in 1989 by members of the Basingstoke & North Hampshire Model Railway Society. It was built and exhibited over the years but as with all model railway layouts time took its toll. It was decided by the society that it should be replaced and after much debate it was agreed in 2007 that it could be rebuilt. It was completed in 2010. Members of the group felt Lulworth lacked kerb appeal and permission was sought to enlarge the running and scenic area by turning the layout into a U shape. This was approved in 2014 however due to other commitments work only got under way in June 2016 with the first public appearance being in May 2017. Following additional work the foot print of the layout is now 28ft x 10ft.
Fictional History of the Lulworth branch. Not long after the Swanage branch was built the town of Lulworth decided to promote a railway bill in Parliament for a branch line extending from a junction to the west of Wool on the LSWR. The junction gave direct access from the east. The single track branch line was constructed with several major features including a crossing of the River Frome from where the railway would follow the southern bank of that River to reach the hamlet of Winfrith Road where a halt was provided. The railway continued to Lulworth where a station was constructed this being a mirror image of Swanage Station and yard. The line was doubled during the course of the First World War to allow better access to the military areas around Lulworth. The engine shed was upgraded and a dairy built on the site of the old engine shed. The new shed is compact but boasts a 70 ft turntable. A branch was added towards the end of the First World War to serve the military area and was later extended to the ball Clay area around Norden, with an end on connection near Corfe Castle on the Swanage branch. Tourism boomed in the summer months and the 1950’s were the heyday of the branch. The period normally modelled is the late 1950’s and early 1960’s. Soon after the line suffered cut backs and was closed around 1970 with no trace of it or the town of Lulworth for that matter! As stated this is fiction and it does allow a wide variety of destinations and formations for the trains in service. You may even find a modern day diesel or trains from the BR blue era when the team have a play.
The layout is 28 feet x 10 feet. Lulworth requires a van to transport and is supported by 4 to 6 operators.