Fawley (EM) Malcolm Snellgrove (Southampton MRS)
The Totton, Hythe and Fawley Light Railway was opened in July 1925, mainly to serve the new AGWI (Atlantic Gulf West Indies) oil refinery. By the date of the model the refinery was owned by Anglo American (ESSO). There were also stations at Marchwood and Hythe.
Passenger trains were limited, but only one terminated at Totton, the others formed part of the local services around Southampton. Apart from normal freight, the oil traffic built up steadily. Tank wagons at this period carried a variety of liveries. Due to station track layouts, empty and loaded wagons from Marchwood and Hythe had to circulate via Fawley.
The model was built to try and give an impression of how the station appeared in the 1934-39 period, but is much compressed in length and width to fit the available space. Even so the whole layout cannot be erected at home. Construction started many years ago; baseboards are of lightweight ply, the track is Peco Code 75 with Peco point motors.
Scenery is flock and foam grass finishes on a plaster base. Trees use Heki foliage and the buildings are of card and plasticard. If the buildings and surrounds appear to be too ‘clean’, please remember that the station is only some 10 to 12 years old at the period modelled.